Sunday, January 29, 2012

Day 5 January 29, 2012


I encourage anyone doing The Ultimate Yogi 108 day program – or undertaking any fitness program to keep a journal.  Even if you just scribble down the quick details of what you accomplished, journaling holds you accountable and creates a record of the ups and downs of your journey. 

Today, Sookie woke me up anxious to greet Sunday.  I can never refuse her enthusiasm so I hauled out of bed, had a quick cup of coffee and got right to it.

On the agenda was the Vitality class, HardCORE and 10 minutes of meditation.
(WOOPS! Looks like I did the wrong dvd - will do Detox tomorrow now.)

I really enjoyed a silent ten minute sitting meditation before bed last night, so I will be repeating that tonight.

I also swapped out the HardCore DVD for another core focused workout for about 20 minutes.

Then, I hit the mat for Vitality.  Vitality consists of several “circular” flows with an emphasis on heart opening and back bending.  Culminating in “ustrasana” or “camel pose,” this is a nice flowy, fun practice. 

I have started to notice the absence of inversions … but, this DVD has a lovely plow/shoulder stand sequence that quenched my desire to be upside down.  I know that headstand is difficult to put into a DVD program that is aimed toward a wide range of folks without tons of instruction.

On that note – the practices thus far – except for Yin, have been very standing pose heavy.  I get it … condensing down what is usually a 90-minute class into 60 – 75 minutes – something has to give.  I remember teaching yoga at the University here.  I had 50 minutes!  I always felt like our practice was on fast forward to fit in every element of a balanced practice.   Alas, you let it go.   You have to.  You do what you can.  It’s the Ashtangi in me that needs to give up the idea that unless you do an entire primary series – you haven’t practiced.  

Practice ended with a nice savasana – although I was very restless … ready to use all the Vitality the practice created!

For breakfast, I made something new … I was craving eggs … so here ya go:

Kale And Celery Saute with Eggs

2 – eggs (preferably cage free, vegetarian fed or organic)

2 cups Kale - chopped
4 tbsp chopped onion
2  large celery stalks – chopped
1 tsp coconut oil
Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
Pepper
Garlic Powder

1.     In a pot – use ½ - ½ cup water to sauté onions and celery for about 5 minutes – or until they start to soften.
2.     Add Kale and cover to “steam” for about 3 minutes.
3.     Remove cover and add coconut oil.  Stir and “sauté” for a minute or so.  Turn off heat.  Add pepper and garlic powder to taste.
4.     Cook eggs as desired. 
5.     Serve eggs over  Kale and Celery.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment